Monday, September 1, 2014

SAMADHI PAD SUTRA-18

             VIRAM PRATYAYA ABHYASA PURVAH SAUNSKARA SHESHA ANYAYAH

      IN YOGA, PRECEDING PART IS TO STOP OR CESSATION OF THOUGHT WAVES                 WHILE RESIDUAL  IMPRESSION OF CONTROL IS THE SUCCEEDING PART.

    In the last SUTRA we were told the 4 stages of the Samadhi. The last stage was ASMITA . In this stage the there is a feeling of "I AM".But even at this stage the CHITTA is still involved .At this stage as mentioned before the devotee starts having Intuitive vision . So then he realises that the "I" or the "SELF" is separate from the Chitta . And that one does not need chitta to 'realise ' ' Self'.Think about this way , though not perfect. If I want to climb over a wall which quite tall and I can not reach the top  by jumping . But some one gives me a boost ,so then I can grab the top of the wall and pull myself up. Now once I have grabbed the top and reached the top , I don't need the the person who gave me the boost. So once the devotee  is free of Chitta , it as a state called PARA VAIRAGYA. (One before that was APARA VAIRAGYA.).
    As we saw in the last Sutra, as one gets in to deeper or higher level of the Samadhi , the 'support' for each state is subtler . The external object of concentration is mostly 'GROSS' . Here the senses are the Gross on the receiving side . Then the Mind , which is subtler to senses, and the ego and then the intellect are still subtler.So the feeling that  "I AM " also needs some support to reflect it , which is Chitta . So one has to get rid of need for support. The SELF does not need any substratum or anything to reflect upon . It can be all by itself .So "I AM " is also a 'VRITTI' or a 'tendency' .We need to get read of this tendency . This the ultimate level.Same way  control of thoughts is also an impression or SAUSKARA.So once the out going thoughts are gone , the memories of the control of out going thoughts are also gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment