Sunday, August 17, 2014

SAMADHIPAD SUTRA 12

                               ABHYSA VAIRAGYA ABHYAM TAD NIRODHAH

         THESE VRITIES(TENDENCIES )ARE CONTROLLED BY PRACTICE(STUDY)AND                  DISPASSION.
        We saw in the previous sutras that the waves of the thoughts arise related to 5 different things.As long as these thoughts continue to be there , we can not uncover the real ME.As we saw it as long as the thoughts are there then the real ME aligns itself with the body and so it is unable to realise that it is independent of the body.(And I mean all 5 bodies.)So this sutra tells us how to control these vrities or the thoughts. So it says that if we 'practice' and develop 'dispassion' then we can achieve it. The mind is compared to flow of river. We may think that the water is same , but in reality the water is flowing continuously and is changing all  the time .So are the thoughts. If you analyse the last 15 minutes of the thoughts that you had , you will realise that you started with one thought and then it gives rise to another and an a another and so on . I may think about this blog , then it takes me to second thought as to who is going to read it , that leads to next one as to am I being clear enough  for any one to understand it , or can I ever make an E-book out of it or make money , then donate it or whatever. So the 'flow of thoughts is like flow of water in a river, constantly changing and constantly present , with no break. Second similarity is that as much as river can flow downstream . we can go upstream. So as much as our thoughts are related to the 'OUT SIDE' world, we can reverse and make it upstream towards our ORIGIN.
      One fact comes out of the chain of thoughts that may not be obvious without pointing out, is that first thought has to disappear or die, before next one comes . So even though it is a chain , there is a extremely short time interval that there is NO THOUGHT. It is so small that we don't perceive it It is like series of still photographs, if we see them rapidly, we will see a motion picture.When we watch a movie, we don't perceive it as series of several, pictures.Same is with thoughts. So even though we don't know or feel there little gap and we need to learn to increase that gap with practice .This called 'study' or ABHYAS., which is nothing more than practice .
      Now why do we get thoughts . If we know as to the origin of the thoughts , then we can stop it.So let us go back to the previous sutras. So if I see thing it provoke a thought. Let us say I see ice cream , I will have desire to eat it , then next one will tell me that it is fattening or not good for cholesterol etc. But let us say I have never seen ice cream , would I have any thoughts?Let us say I don't have any 'desire to eat it ,no thoughts would come.So having no desires will lead to stoppage of our thoughts. Sometimes we create thought by the attachments. Let me clarify . I buy an expensive car. So I will have thoughts of , how I am going to maintain it , how am I going to drive , take care of it , where am I going to get money for repairs .But if I do not own a car I don't have to worry about any of these and I will have no thoughts related to car . This is called dispassion .
     So by doing the study or practice and by dispassion we can control our thoughts or not have them arise at all .

No comments:

Post a Comment