Sunday, May 10, 2020

REAL VALUE

     One of theses days,when I came home from work, my son asked me if we could go get some driving practice. He had gotten the learner's permit  and wanted to practice the driving skill. So we decided to go for a drive. I was in my Home Attire. When we went around we were passing by the Gym that we go. So he asked me if we could go to gym. I did not have much work and so we thought that would be good . So we went inside . I started exercise with treadmill. I saw some one waving hand at me  and I did respond.In next 5 minutes, he came to me and I recognize him .He was son of one of my patients. After exchanging  usual meaningless hellos, he says to me .''Doc You can do better than this."pointing at may clothes.I had to explain that I was not planning to come to gym and we thought we were going around only in our neighborhood. He did recognize me as physician and felt that I should be better dressed. This brings me today's story.
    In a small town in India there was  were 2 friends . They were friends and grew together. Both had some business  and with bad luck, one of them became very poor  and bankrupt. He did not have enough money for eating . The other guy was doing OK. So one day there was celebration in this rich guy.s house  and many in the town were invited. This friend who had lost everything was not invited. The poor friend thought that it must be a mistake  and there is no way he could not invite me or welcome me. He also did not have good meals in days.So he thought to himself, why not go for the function and I am sure the friend will welcome me with open arms . So he went there . His clothes were nor expensive  and he looked like poor . may be a beggar. When he went in the dinning hall, and approach the host, which was his long time friend , the host pretended to not recognize him. When he tried to jig his memory, he called his guards  and threw him out insulting him with bad words.
     As it happened this poor friend started some small business  and then over period of time became rich.The time had passed  and theses 2 friends had no contact with each other.. The first friend came to know about rich merchant in the town and decided to invite him for the dinner . So he went . There was a feast  and many sweets  and other delicacies were cooked  and these 2 friends sat at the table to eat . As the food was served  and people started eating the guest friend started taking each item of food  and was putting on his clothes . He put some on shirt  and some on coat and some on his pants. Everyone was surprised. The host asked as what he was doing. The guest answered , 'this great food is prepared for the expensive clothes  and not for someone who is wearing it , Because if it was for me when I came to you 5 years ago,  and needed food you would not have thrown me out . The only difference between myself from 5 years ago  and now is,now I am wearing expensive clothes'
   So in life we do value EXTERNAL APPEARANCE more than Internal - how a person is. education, moral and character etc , We tend to have more importance how some one is dressed or rich than how good someone is.

No comments:

Post a Comment