Saturday, October 17, 2020

DO AS I DO

   We often see in our like many of us are willing to give advice or lecture as to what should be done by someone. We often see that in politics  and many a times in our personal life. I remember one time when someone had sleep apnea and I was talking to him on need for weight loss, his cosine and his wife came in  and joined the discussion. When I talked about the weight loss and diet, they also joined in 'giving' the advice. When I looked at them, I could easily see that both husband and wife were fat or obese  and they should have followed their own advice ,so as to lose weight. That brings me to the story for today .

Dnyaneshwar was one of the saints in India. I have told you some of his stories in past. This one is not for performing miracle but for common sense. He was giving lectures on Geeta One day at the end of lecture a lady approached him with small child - may be 5 years old. She told Dnyaneshwar that the child was eating too much of sweet especially jaggery. She was worried that that may cause problems in future She requested him to tell the child not to eat that much sweet things. Dnyaneshwar told her to bring back the child in 2 weeks . She had come from farther place  and she did show up for the visit. When Dnyaneshwar saw her with child , he asked to sit on his lap and then told him that it is not good to eat sweets all the time . He told him how there would be problems with health if he would continue to eat sweets all the time . The child listened  and then the lady was happy. She was sure thet when the message came from him, the child would follow the advice. 

    After she left , some of the people who were with Dnyaneshwar asked him as to why did not not say the same thing 2 weeks ago, when the lady had asked him to do  so. They also added that the lady came from miles away village  and she had to come again to listen to the simple advice that he could have done 2 weeks ago and saved her the trouble of travelling so far. Dnyaneshwar replied ,"I know that I could have I have told her this 2 weeks ago. But in theses last 2 weeks I have not touched any sweets . I wanted to DO WHAT I WAS GOING TO TELL THE CHILD !" 

    So he wanted to tell the child what HE HAD DONE . So it was not do what I tell but DO AS I DO!

No comments:

Post a Comment